Mary’s Primary School Altinure, Park, Claudy, Co. Derry.
Entry:- Kevin Johnston, Lisa, Grace Devine, Emer Conway, Jennifer
McCloskey and many others.
an Iúir “glen of the yew tree”,
& Lower Townlands, Parish of Learmount, Co. Tyrone.
an Iúir means “glen of
the yew tree”, spelled Altenure in 1613. There is a another townland
of the same name in Co. Cavan.
“high ground between glens or streams”
Parish of Learmont, Co. Tyrone. H 5799
word Ladhar often used for the “(spaces between) fingers and toes” (Dinneen),
but means in place-names “a fork formed by streams and glens” Joyce,
and “high ground between converging glens or streams”, Placename
Office, Dublin. It was spelled Loyer in 1613.
The Ordnance Survey Namebooks explain the parish name Lear-mont
as “given by Sir William Montgomery when he built a shooting lodge”.