Integrated Primary School, Kircubbin, Ards, Co. Down
Joint entry by:- Aaron Hill, Conn
Crawford, Conor Miley, Dominik Fitzmaurice
Ceathrú Chuibin / Cill Chuibin “Cubbin’s quarter” or “church”
Townland, Parish of Inishargy, Co. Down. J 5962
The history of the name Kircubbin is complicated, and it could mean either
“Cubbin’s quarter” or “Cubbin’s church”. Cubbin was probably a personal name, possibly a saint’s
name. There was a church,
(called the chapel of Killcubin, 1615) which might have been described
by Scottish settlers as a Kirk. However,
there was also a quarter of land to support it, called [Balli]carcubbine
in 1605. (Balli is baile
Fish Quarter, Ceathrú an
Iascaire “quarter of the fisherman”, known from 1604/5.
Ballycranbeg, Baile Crannaí Beag
“small townland of the wooded place”.
Ballynester, Baile an Aistire
“townland of the doorkeeper”, Ballynestore in 1623.